Thursday, January 25, 2007

Devil: Geryon, Lord of the Fifth

Geryon
Arch-devil

This is a wholly scratch built mini. I took the snake body of a WOTC Fienish Snake and cut off the head. (Don't tell the wife I used her best and sharpest carving knife) Then I took a DC Heroclix Wendigo and cut off his legs. (Don't tell the wife I did it again)

Next, I found a small screw which I used to bore into the torso of the wendigo to about the right length of additional snake body needed. Once I did that, I plugged up the empty space with green stuff. I added some detail, put the wings from the succubus I used for Fierna, and then painted the whole thing to come as close as I could to the illustration in the Book of Vile Darkness.

It isn't a particularly skillful sculpt, but it makes a servicable mini.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The term Kitbash or conversion might be more appropriate. Scratchbuild usually implys a sculpt from scratch.

Still nice work.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Shandar the Ashen said...

When I was in high school, scratchbuild was used when you were taking bits from different models to create a new model--like the ragtag fleet in the original Battlestar Galactica...there is one ship that goes by and you can see they built it out of parts that included the German Uboat U-47. The new BSG recreated the scratchbuilt models in many cases, including the one I mentioned. Kitbashing and scratchbuilding were used interchangeably.

If I were "building from scratch" wouldn't that be just plain old sculpting? I don't meant to be wounded by the correcting of my terminology, but since I do actually sculpt the midsection it isn't exactly just gluing bits from one model to another, which is what I'd call kitbshing.

Anyway, thanks for the praise.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home