Saturday, September 15, 2007

Kopru

This is the reason I needed the Kna, who are racial enemies of the Kopru. The Kopru is listed on page 69 of TSR 2501: Mystara Monstrous Compendium Index.

The first time I saw the WOTC Half-Illithid Lizardfolk, I thought how much cooler it would have been if they'd made it a kopru, since that is what it looked like. Here is the WOTC fig:

So, when I got to the Korpu entry in my work on the 2E Monstrous Manual I'm creating, I decided to scartch build the mini myself. Take that, WOTC!

I started by cutting the half-illithid in half...hmmm, something very wrong about how that sounds...and then using a tiny drill bit to make a hole in the torso that I could stick an unbent paperclip into for my skeleton. Then I put the wire in my sculpting block vise and started making green stuff. I should have taken a picture of that first step, but I already had the body made before I remembered that I wanted to.



Then, exercising patience I have had to learn to develop, I let it harden before putting on the remaining flukes. Once it was all hardened, I based it using a plastic slotted base that I put a coat of brown stuff on, using that to attach some cleaned up rocks. The rocks hid a central "pillar" of brown stuff that I used to attach the Korpu to the base. Then, before it hardened, I pushed some lichen into the crevices so that it would stick to and disguise the brown stuff--leaving only the rocks showing.

My sculpting skills are still extremely rudimentary, as are my painting skills, but I'm not out to win any contests...only to have the most complete range of monsters my PCs might face that is possible. Given that standard, I'm very pleased with the results.




Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home