Saturday, May 26, 2007

Reapercon Pics

This is a picture of Ed and Dave Pugh, the real Reaper Brothers. Getting to know them was probably the best part of going to Texas for the Con.

I was having too much fun to photograph stuff, but here is a nice link to someone else who did manage to take pictures of lots of things:

shakandara's PhotoBucket

The official Reaper page has lots more pics: Click here for more pics!

And I also found these pics from another attendee: Sergeant Crunch's Pics

And, here are Dave Bennet's Pics

Here are some of the highlights of my trip:

1) Meeting Ed and Dave Pugh. They are really awesome people, with massive amounts of first hand history of the gaming industry stored in their heads. Sitting around talking with them was probably my favorite thing about being at Reapercon.

2) Playtesting Reich of the Dead (Nazi zombification experiments gone horribly, horribly wrong!) with Dave Bennett and Dave Pugh. This game is going to be a really fun and easy to play tabletop game when they get it up and running. The bombed out Reichstag and painted zombies by Dave Bennett were amazing. I was pretty frustrated to have survived every zombie attack I was in, only to be machined gunned by one of my fellow living human soldiers so that he could get away clean with the vaccination syrum, though. Such is life in zombie-town, I guess.

3) Meeting all of the sculptors and painters, and concept artists. Strange but really cool to hang out and get to know the people who created the art that now fills my D&D room. Not to mention watching them actually sculpting and painting right in front of me. I learned a lot, even without taking any of the classes. The Guest List was very impressive, most of the giants in the industry were there and all were open, friendly, and very approachable. I especially had a great time getting to know Michael Brower, Patrick Keith, Sandra Garrity, Bobby Jackson, Derek Schubert, Jason Wiebe, Bob Ridolfi, Julie Guthrie, and Werner Klocke. Jennifer Haley was a treat to meet as well.

4) Checking out the new Reaper plastic line samples. They were painted extremely well (though paled by comparison to the museum quality painting being done upstairs by the real expert painters!).

5) Taking the tour of the Reaper factory, learning how the molds are cut, the figures cast, the products packaged and readied for shipping. The Reaper staff were first rate and incredibly friendly--Thanks especially to Brian Stiltz for his friendly manner and knowledge of all things Warlord.

6) Spending some time sorting out Darkspawn continuity. I spent a lot of time doing this, poring through Warlord materials and compiling everything in one neat place. Couldn't have been more helpful to do that in a room with lots of other people who have put in time, energy, and deeply talented thought in creating Warlord materials.

7) And of course, hanging out with my friend Matt Clark and his family (who put me up while I was there).


The time flew by waaaay too quickly, there was so much to do and so many people to meet. I can't wait to go back next year.

Now that I'm home and inspired (with a really large cache of sculpting supplies to go with the accumulated inspiration), I'm going to really start spending more time in the basement. I'll have to, in order to make room for the long list of additions to my Reaper Wish List, now that I've been down there to see every single product in person...I need them on my shelves!

I can't give away too many things, but I can tell you to be sure to check out the new Reaper releases in September...you will be amazed by some of the offerings that are planned. I've seen the greens! I know what's coming and I can't wait....demons with four arms, fishy leviathons with tentacled heads...and so much more!

For my Players, no marathon session this weekend, but maybe next?

More links:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home