Thursday, June 22, 2006

Birthday Minis from Reaper

My friend at Reaper, Matt, sent me a nice box of minis for my birthday. I'll review a couple of them here.

Matt knows I have aspirations to sculpt, and I appreciate that he, too, honors my dreams...even though I harbor serious doubts that I have enough life span left to ever get close to being a sculptor. Still, I am grateful for the strips of scultping putty and the blister of the new weapons are truly great.

The Necropolis Weapons (14295) are really cool, especially the shield sticking out its tongue and the winged helm. Even if I can't create an original mini worthy of holding these fine weapons, they will be great dressing for my players to find in upcoming sessions.

The Reven Weapons (14293) are also great. I'm constantly amazed at the attention to detail in Reaper minis. These are wicked weapons but retaining a rough hewn quality, even in the clumsy stitching of the orc quiver. Perfect! I never believed orc raids were able to come up with all the perfectly crafted weapons and clothing those brutes seem to wear in figs from other companies.

Nefsokar Weapons (14294) include some artifacts and phylacteries. I especially liked the one with Anubis on the top. The dobule bladed battle axe with the scorpion motif is awesome.

You don't want Clarissa to explain it all when Clarissa is a banshee (14274). She's too cute to be a banshee, though, in my opinion. But, she clearly has a bitter heart beneath that sweet face. The qoute on her stat card is "Hate holds more power than love. Speak not of love to me." Ouch. Not the kind of screamer you fantasize about.

I have to admit that although there probably will be no call for them to ever appear in my world, I have a real obsession with the pirate skeletons of the Razig line in Reaper's Warlord. Matt sent me Blackknife Tom (14272), Jackie Jones (14275), Harpooners (14277), Mister Blood (14271), Grim Pete (14273), Bone Marines (14279), Zombie Recruits (14278), and the Chain Gang (14276) are all amazing in their detail and just a hoot. I don't think I'm allowing smoke powder in my Realms, but I do like the marines with their smoothbore muskets and bayonettes. I have to say, though, I am in love with Grim Pete and Mister Blood. They're too cool. I have a real soft spot for skeletal undead who are missing their lower jaw, and Mister Blood is a great example. I also love his wild hair.

For some reason, probably legal, WOTC no longer produces any halflings which have hairy bare feet (or gnomes with big noses, for that matter). For all my hairfoot needs, I turn to Reaper (and sometimes that very expensive line of minis with the official LOTR logo). Matt sent Hellakin, Halfling Thief (3071) and this is a great mini if you're looking for a good halfling PC (that would be player character, Halflings don't use computers).

You can never have enough kobolds, so I was grateful for the blister with four more (3064). I've got two varieties of kobold in my world, since I like both the old school humanoid kind with bug eyes, dog faces, and two little horns as well as the new dragon-kin version in the WOTC line. The reaper ones are closer to the the old school kind, and so I lump them in there.

I really like the new medusa figure (3050), and Matt must too, since this is the third one he's sent me!

The Gargoyle Champion figure is fantastic. It is also huge. Not every gargoyle miniature really caputres the stone-like quality of these creatures which can only add to the terror their impossible ability to fly must inpsire. This miniature does it perfectly.

I'm going to be working on a Darkspawn project for Reaper, so I was glad to get the new Soultender (14298). It has a spindly demonic quality which is really sinister. Can't wait to figure out how to use it in my campaign.

The Incarnation of Flame (14264) is another great mini...I'm really looking forward to painting it. The flames surrounding the weapon looks really impressive.

Mag Blackscar, half-orc (3070) looks like an assassin loaded for bear. He's going to be a really nice additon to my growing half-orc community.

I already had an Ibycus Satyr (3053) so I don't think I'll open this blister up. It is an excellent mini, though. I'm getting a lot of duplicates because Matt doesn't note what he's already sent...I'm not complaining! I asked him if he wanted me to send the duplicates back to him and he said to give them out as promos to get people thinking Reaper or offer them to hobby stores to use as prizes. I might include some as gifts when I'm auctioning my minis on ebay, or try to figure out how to use them for sculpted conversions. At any rate, it is nice to have my cup running over with such good figures.

Aviriel, Female Elf Paladin (3072) is just about perfect. I love the shield and the feather motif on her armor. She's like a Romulan Battle Goddess or something. That Werner Klocke sure can sculpt. I've got a new job, which might allow more flexibility in scheduling so that I can start going to Reapercon. It'd be cool to meet the guy who brings such wonder into the world.

Can't have enough Giant Spiders (3055) either, though my players might disagree. I've been quietly stockpiling giant spiders for Spiderhaunt Wood, and varieties of giant for the Against the Giants series of modules. (Don't tell my players!)

I'm also getting into the Nefsokar line from Warlord, so was very pleased to get the Chosen of Sokar, Nef Srgt (14280). Good looking figure...these will all go well with my castlekits.com pyramid complex.

Lastly, the new "Hooked Hulk" (3069) which is a combination of Hook Horror and Umber Hulk with a choice of heads. I really like this figure, and with the vulture head it is soo much closer to the original artwork for the Hook Horror than the current WOTC figure comes. I'll always prefer the Ral Partha mini, but there's no point in still weeping over the forced destruction of all the Ral Partha Official AD&D products and molds. I'll never forgive WOTC for doing that. Not that they need my forgiveness, since I'm still buying their products, but just the same, that was a crappy thing to do.

Speaking of WOTC, here is my updated needs list, just before the new War of the Dragon Queen boosters start coming out.

HARBINGER: Complete

DRAGONEYE
56 Ogre Ravager CE 38 R

ARCHFIENDS
5 Large Silver Dragon LG 122 R
25 Clay Golem CG/CE 56 R
28 Aspect of Bane LE 106 R
34 Gauth LE 39 R
46 Aspect of Lolth CE 75 R
58 Vrock CE 79 R


GIANTS OF LEGEND
36 Lord Soth LE 98 R
44 Drider Sorcerer CE 30 R


ABERRATIONS: Complete

DEATHKNELL: Complete

ANGEL FIRE
06 Mounted Paladin 96 LG
14 Archmage 98 CG

UNDERDARK
01 Battle Plate Marshal 43 LG 12
25 Iron Golem 61 LG/LE 10

WAR DRUMS: Complete

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home