Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to me...and my Lamprey


Today is my birthday, don't ask how old you 3.5 edition playing whippersnappers. I'm staying home in the basement doing nothing but working on organizing my D&D stuff, adding more pages to my comprehensive monstrology cyclopedia, and prepping for our session on Saturday.

This morning I came across the compendium page for Lamprey and didn't have a figure for it...so I tried my hand at sculpting one.

I'm still lousy at sculpting, so I am learning the ropes by doing figures of creatures already described as amorphous blobs.

I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, though green stuff is soooo hard to work with. I got something I sort of liked--though the feelers on the front were really hard to do because they kept drooping down and touching other tentacles and sticking.

I put it in front of a hot light to help dry it out and instead of drying faster, it melted and drooped more. I need to get some of those clamp/clips on an articulated frame so that figures can be held in sideways positions while they harden. That would keep them from drooping down to the table top.

This fig does have a wire skeleton, but the wire must habe been too thin, because the weight of the green stuff was heavy enough to make it droop. Can't imagine my troubles if there was no wire at all.

Anyway, let me know what you think--but don't be too harsh, I'm still learning!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shandar the Ashen said...

One of the astute sculptors on the miniature sculpting yahoo group said it looked like my problem was that I was trying to sculpt an entire miniature all at once instead of doing a small section, letting it harden, doing a small section, letting it harden, and so on.

He was right! I'm so new to this and haven't got any instructors, so that is exactly what I was doing--trying to sculpt an entire figure from one lump of green stuff. Future sculpts will be much better as a result of this sage advice!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home