Friday, November 10, 2006

Sand Dragon

For years and years I'd used this dragon miniature (possibly another in the Sculptor's Row series by Ral Partha?) as a representation for a Deep Dragon.

WOTC came out with their own Deep Dragon mini in Underdark (#52 Large Deep Dragon--see sidebar image) though, and since they set the standard appearance for trademark, my dragon figure had to become something else.

I don't know why I painted it this ocher color, but I'm sure I painted it before I decided to make it a Deep Dragon. I think it was something about the dragon being perched on rocks that reminded me of the illustration of a deep dragon in the TSR materials. I couldn't find any 2E compendium sheets that looked like this dragon, but the color reminded me of sand, so I have decided to invent a desert dwelling dragon to bedevil the sand giants. Stats are very similar to the compendium sheet for the Sapphire Dragon (since I just copied the page), with a few changes.

Most notably the breath weapon:

A sand dragon's breath weapon is a cone of incredibly arid and dehydrating air, 75' long, 5' wide at the dragon's mouth, and 25' wide at the base. Creatures caught by the blast may save vs. breath weapon for half damage from dehydration caused by the drying air. Victims who reach 0 HP are considered completely dehydrated and are dead. Victims killed in this fashion are unable to be raised from the dead and are completely mummified. Sand dragons will not eat food which has not been dried in this fashion. A sand dragon casts spells and uses its magical abilities at 7th level, plus its combat modifier.

It also has a little barb on its tail, so I've endowed it with a poisonous sting like a corpion's.

PS: As to the previous post, I'm very pleased with the electrifying showing the Blue Dragons had earlier this week.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shandar the Ashen said...

Maybe I should have a percentage chance of being raised as a mummy. Like: raise dead automatically fails, but a resurrection spell will result in the victim rising as a mummy. Nothing short of a wish spell will return the character to life, and even then there should be some penalty for the dehydration process. What do you think?

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home