Friday, October 09, 2009

WOTC Ultimate Tyrant



It was always frustrating converting 3E materials to 2E use, but trying to do it with 4E is an exercise in futility.

I'm no stranger to that, and really have no choice but to make some effort to do so since all the WOTC minis will be using their radically changed concepts and structure and I will need to find some way to incorporate the new figures into my campaign world.

An example is the Ultimate Tyrant mini from the Legendary Evils set. In 2E, the terms Ultimate Tyrant and Hive Mother were both used for the same creature. I can't find any mention of Hive Mother in the new 4E MM2. The mini itself looks like The Beholder Formerly Known as Prince, but nothing like the 2E description of a Hive Mother. The old Hive Mother had no eyestalks but did have a full set of eyes set into its body and a much larger mouth with a beak as well as teeth.

In my world, because this thing is so huge and of such a weird color, I am going to use it as the avatar of the Great Mother as described in the Monstrous Arcana supplement I, Tyrant.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BB Shockwave said...

I am a 2E "purist" like you, and I use this mini to represent the Elder Orb. After all, those are simply ancient and very big beholders... very much like this guy.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home